Sage Bundles & Wildflowers for Lt. Col. Dan

 

Monday, September 4 (2023) 10am

Sage Bundles and Wildflowers for Lt. Col. Dan

 ________________________________

 This morning, before I walked alone with my dog I whispered a prayer to the rising sun. 

 "Let my soul awaken to you.

Heal my spirit, my mind, my body

And bring me the blessings of your earth.

I am grateful beyond the stars in my sky

To behold the wonder of this life

The grace of your plants

The humility of your wildlife

And the place you have made for me there.

Show me your handiwork and purpose for my path

And I will follow.”

 

Wild Sunflowers line the path to the rocky mountains at the top of my road.  Every morning their color greets me and turns more golden with the coming season.  They bow, tall over the path and buzzing with the conversations of honey bees, bumble bees, ladybugs and grasshoppers.  We all make eye contact with one another and greet the day.  Today there is not a cloud in the sky yet and I can feel the coming heat off of the rising sun, but the west side of my body is still cool.  The puppy and I hike up and up as up is in every direction when you live in the mountains.   There are remnants of Spring’s wildflowers going to seed, drying in the sun.  The sage is leafy and supple in the shade where they have been able to capture a slight morning dew, perfect for the fresh harvest.  The white and purple daisy-aster are strong in late summer, coming into their full beauty.  I squat down and thank my earth mother as I harvest long and short stems of the shady sage—an impromptu harvest—as I hold as many as my fist can clench.   Towards the top of our climb I chose a few aster with gratitude and feel like an uncommon young girl again walking through the forest with a bouquet of sage and aster.   

 We return home as the sun is climbing and the heat is beckoning.  Laying our spoils out upon the garden bench we sort short stalks from long stalks of sage--its scent new, like flavored water, ionized by the morning air.  Bundling the stalks we weave aster and sage for a beautiful smudging bundle—earth mother’s perfect package.  The sage and aster grow near one another and are used to bedding together.  The hummingbirds circle around us in the cloud of sage dust, peeping and eavesdropping on our project.  They are always welcome at our table.

 I felt the need to gather today after spending part of the morning yesterday speaking with a Navaho man who sang children’s songs to us in his native tongue while we drummed along on our djembes.  A veteran, he struggles to accept his wartime experience and come to peace with the killing.  His tear filled eyes spoke of the symbolism of the American Flag and the pain young men suffered before their time pushing them to grow old in years beyond their age.  He shared how he could not sleep and would wake up facing the wall while his wife held him, helplessly unable to quell his pain.  He once asked his senior officer, “How do you sleep  at night sir?”  And he answered, “I try to make peace with those I have killed.”   The canyon of silence and reverence between us grew 10 fold.  I was listening to the silence as was he in search of the way to make peace.  The suffering of our veterans needs to be surrounded by any peace we can bring to them.  His senior officer suggested he find a church to help begin to bring him peace.  That is how I found Lieutenant Colonel Dan. I have hope and faith that he will continue to heal. 

 So I form these sacred sage bundles for Lt. Col. Dan.--bundles for his healing, to honor his journey on this earth with the hope that he may realize with his truth he can touch the lives of other soul seekers and bring the true meaning of ‘finding peace’ to them as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Truth Comes First: Contemplating The Language of Post-Pandemic Pre-Teens

Thoughts On Moving Toward The Acceptance of Sentience and Preference